What is tor2web and jot2tor
Aaron Swartz worked of both these projects for several years until his death on January 13.
Tor2web is a conduit between the TOR darknet and the regular internet allowing internet users to browse/view .onion websites. This allows users on the larger internet to easily read material that has already been anonymously published on a TOR hidden service.
Jot2tor makes it easier for users to publish with military strength anonymity. In short it's running the code underlying as a Tor hidden service.
Things to do: tor2web
- Put TOR on Amazon EC2
- Fix any of these: https://github.com/GlobaLeaks/tor2web-3.0/issues
- Let google be able to search .onion, i.e. site:tor2web.org
- Caching needs to work (have template written out)
Ensure users don't access jot2tor over tor2web?
Chat room: http://irc.lc/OFTC/tor2web/webchat
IRC server: irc.oftc.net
Things to do: jot2tor
- Put EC2 box onto Tor network.
- Get jottit code running on box. (ask your local lead for sourecode)
- Determine if any caching/etc. needed to mitigate TOR’s slowness effect on User Experience.
- Test posts made in Chinese, Arabic, other non-English langauges
- Threat model new service
- Python/Ruby and UNIX-fu
- basic git
- bonus skill: Heroku experience
- bonus skill: familiar with EC2 / TOR / TOR-cloud
- bonus skill: unix-guru
Github repository for tor2web
Hackathoners doing related work